WASHINGTON , June 1, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Fairtrade America is the U.S. member organization of Fairtrade International, an independent, third-party certification that improves the lives of farmers and workers in developing countries. Today, Fairtrade America announced that it has partnered with six Fairtrade Certified brands to encourage buyers to shop with people and the planet in mind. All over the world, farmers who grow staple foods such as coffee, cocoa and bananas are struggling to adapt to the extreme weather and harsh conditions brought on by climate change. These farming families contribute the least to climate change, but often suffer the most. Now more than ever, we must unite as a global community to protect our planet and our farmers. Fairtrade America has partnered with six Fairtrade Certified brands to raise awareness of how a simple action, like purchasing a Fairtrade Certified product, can be a powerful way to make a difference in the lives of nearly 2 million of farmers and workers participating in Fairtrade around the world, while tackling troublesome climate issues like reduced harvests due to warmer weather. The mantra? “Choose fair trade. Choose the planet. ‘
“The negative effects of rising temperatures and sea levels are having an alarming impact on many crops,” said Mary linnell simmons , Director of Marketing and External Relations for Fairtrade America. “Low-income farmers have limited access to educational resources and technology that can help them cope with our climate. Our hope with this campaign is to highlight the importance of recognizing the issues our farmers face and showing our support in making purchasing decisions that help them earn a fair wage. ”
The Fairtrade brand appears on more than 30,000 products worldwide and new brands are committed to fair trade every day. In an effort to put people and our planet first, Fairtrade America and six ethical brands will be hosting a giveaway on Instagram and Facebook which will celebrate the benefits of Fairtrade certified products and offer three winners the opportunity to win a Choose Fairtrade: Choose the planet prize package filled with everyday items that have a reduced impact on our planet and a positive impact on farmers. Each of these Fairtrade Certified products are available for purchase on Amazon, easily meeting consumers where they are increasingly buying everyday items – online! Several brands are also part of the Amazon favorable climate pledge program, which Amazon launched last year to make it easier for customers to discover and purchase sustainable products on the e-commerce platform. Fairtrade is pleased to promote Small Buying Choices with Big Impact with the following brands and products:
- Beach bag tag Aloha – Look no further for the ultimate bag for the beach, wave catching, ice shaving, mountain hiking and everything in between. Features a handy interior pocket for all essentials and the cutest pineapple zipper ever. By investing in sustainably sourced and fair trade organic cotton – well, that makes Beach Bum bloat! Made from 100% certified organic and fair trade cotton.
- Endangered Species Chocolate Bars – Endangered Species Chocolate is passionate about bringing authentic chocolate to consumers with real, responsible, health-conscious ingredients and free of sweeteners and mysterious additives that not only taste great, but have a real impact on the world. Includes three beautiful dairy free bars including: Strong Dark Chocolate + Velvety, Almond Sea Salt + Caramel Dark Chocolate Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate.
- Organic Tulsi original leaf tea from India – Tulsi, or Holy Basil, is the most sacred plant in India and is revered as “the queen of herbs”. It has been used for thousands of years to promote a healthy stress response and natural detoxification and restore balance and harmony. Tulsi (Holy Basil) supports a healthy stress response and mood and supports the body’s immune system and detox system.
- Navitas Organics cocoa powder – Navitas Organics cocoa powder is made from single origin, Fairtrade certified organic cocoa beans from Sierra Leone , where Navitas Organics is proud to invest in cocoa cooperatives, farmer field schools, reforestation planning and fair labor practices. Non-alkalized and never roasted at high temperatures, Navitas Organics cocoa powder retains the antioxidants, minerals and high nutritional value that are naturally found in the cocoa bean. It has a rich chocolate taste that is delicious in brownies, cakes, hot chocolate, smoothies, homemade chocolates and more!
- Café Lush Ethical Bean – If this organic roast was richer, we could ask it for a loan. A heavy cup with notes of fruit and earth, sourced seasonally to ensure that the freshest beans possible are provided. As an added bonus, each bag has a unique QR code on the back, allowing consumers to track that specific coffee from harvest to cup and find out exactly which Fairtrade cooperative (s) grew the beans.
- Uprise Foods NOOCH IT! – NOOCH IT! Shredded Cashew Cheese is the first Fairtrade certified cheese alternative in the United States. It’s a versatile garnish that can be used on everything from salads, soups, pasta to almost any appetizer. Uprise Foods was founded on the belief in clean sourcing and transparency of ingredients, and NOOCH IT! is not only vegan and gluten-free, but it also contains no additives or preservatives. Cashew “parm” is delicious and can also be enjoyed knowing that every bite helps create a fairer and more compassionate food system.
The competition started this morning and entries will be accepted via Tuesday June 15 . The three winners will be announced on June 16 . In addition to the giveaway, throughout the month of June, Fairtrade America will use its website, social channels and blog to further educate consumers about the impact of climate change on farmers and how we can partner together as a global community to combat this problem. Content will include farmer stories, commodity spotlight, and details about the Fairtrade Climate Academy, a three-year pilot program developed to bring together coffee producers to share their skills and experiences that prepare them for the future climate-related challenges.
Fairtrade America adheres to the highest standards of ethical certification to ensure a tangible and positive impact on the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and their communities in developing countries. With a quarter of its rigorous standards focused on the environment, Fairtrade takes a holistic approach to working with farmers. This includes minimizing the environmental impact by limiting the use of harmful chemicals, banning GMO seeds, preserving protected forests and encouraging organic farming where possible. Fairtrade’s unique pricing model puts more money in the hands of farmers and farming communities, giving them the resources they need to implement solutions to environmental challenges, and connects farmers to share best practices by in terms of mitigating the impacts of climate change.
About Fairtrade America
Fair Trade America improves the lives of farmers and workers in developing countries by inspiring companies to implement ethical production practices and helping buyers make informed purchasing decisions. Fairtrade America is the US chapter of Fairtrade International, the original and global leader in fair trade certification with over 30 years of experience working for fair trade practices in over 30 countries around the world. A 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization, we are the world’s largest and most recognized fair trade system, part of a global movement for change.
View original content to download multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fairtrade-america-partners-with-six-certified-brands-to-encourage-shoppers-to-make-purchases-with -people -and-the-planet-in-the-mind-301302053.html
SOURCE Fairtrade America